Prefab Steel Carports VS. Garages
At the moment, there are many options available in the market to shelter your vehicles. There are pros and cons to all of these buildings. Metal structures, in general, are more durable, customizable and affordable than the other constructions. However, even with metal buildings, you will get many choices. Today, we will do prefab steel carports vs. garage comparison and see how they fare against one another.
Why Prefab Metal Buildings?
Before going into the various aspects of prefab steel carport vs. garages, you should probably know why you need prefab metal buildings.
As a car owner, you probably have looked into all the ways you can provide the best protection for your prized belongings. Cars are significant investments for any American. They require shelter from the elements as well as other dangers if you want them to last for an extended period. There are many benefits to having a carport, garage or other shelters.
Of course, prefab metal buildings are very cheap to buy and to keep as well. That is why they are gaining such popularity. Additionally, these metal structures are incredibly durable. Once you build a metal garage, metal barn, or workshop building, you will not have to worry about it for decades.
Another major benefit of these prefab metal buildings is their versatility. Metal buildings are more than shelters for your vehicles. They make perfect offices, workshops, and even residential units. You can also use them as equipment storage buildings. If you need shelters for your farm animals, equipment, crops, etc. then there is no better option than a steel building.
Prefab Steel Carports vs. Garages
Let us get into the heart of the issue now, prefab steel carports vs. garages. So, which one is better? Well, that is a little bit complicated. Steel carports and garages have different benefits
We cannot say with 100% certainty that one is better than the other. It all depends on your requirements. How much are you willing to spend? What type of protection do you want for your vehicles and equipment? All of these factors will determine whether a prefab metal building will suit your storage needs or not.
Even though we cannot give you a definite answer, we can show you the pros and cons of each building. This way, you can make a decision on your own.
Pros of Metal Carports
- Affordability: If you are comparing prefab steel carports vs. garages in terms of cost, then carports are the winner. They are cheaper than metal garages. In fact, the affordability of a metal carport is the most beneficial aspect of buying a carport. Plus, they also do a very good job of providing basic protection to your belongings.
- Customization Options: You can customize the dimensions of your carport as well as its colors. You can purchase them as a ‘Top Only’ unit with minimal coverage for the lowest cost. Alternatively, you can increase the coverage and give your belongings better protection. Additional features like gables, side panels, etc. can help you get that added coverage. As for the roof style, Carport1 has three options. We have the regular metal carports, boxed eave carports, and vertical carports.
- Assembly: Metal carports are not only cheap, but they are also much easier to assemble and require less skilled labor. We can install our steel carports in a short period. Even our triple wide or extra wide carports will take no longer than a couple of days.
- Maintenance: Metal carports require minimal maintenance efforts. Since carports are more open then garages, condensation is less of a concern for metal carports than they are for metal garages.
Cons of Metal Carports
- Limited Protection: Since carports are open or partially enclosed, the protection they offer against the elements is limited. These structures will also leave your cars and vehicles more vulnerable to theft and vandalism.
- Thermal and Sound Control: Since metal carports are open buildings, they are not suited to insulation. If you intend to use your carports for outdoor activities, you cannot create a thermally insulated environment within a metal carport. Hence, you and your possessions are more vulnerable to the changes in the environment. Control of noise into and out of the structure is also difficult.
Pros of Metal Garages
- Better Protection: When it comes to protection for your belongings in the comparison ofcarports vs. garages, metal garages are superior. Metal garages provide better, all-around protection for you and your belongings than metal carports. Enclosed nature of the metal garages will protect your valuables from all weather conditions as well as against thieves and vandals.
- Customization options and accessories: With metal garages, Carport1 offers the same customization options for dimensions and color of the structure as a metal carport. In addition, you can also choose to install other accessories to better customize your garage. Accessories that are available for metal garages are openings like garage doors, walk-in doors, and windows. For more space, you can choose a unit with a lean-to on the side. The lean-to can be open, partially closed or completely enclosed.
- Durability of the structure and of your belongings: Metal garages have a long lifespan and are able to resist any loads. Extra elements and accessories provide added structural stability to the structure. Metal garages can give your belongings better protection against elements. Hence, they ensure that your belongings remain in functioning order for a longer time.
- Thermal and Sound Control: Metal garages are better suited to thermal insulation than metal carports. This means that you have better thermal control of the environment inside the building. Therefore, changes in the weather will not affect you and your valuables. With this insulation, you can also decrease the level of noise from and into the steel garage.
Cons of Metal Garages
- Price: In terms of prefab steel carports vs. garages prices, metal garages are more expensive. This is because metal garages require more structures elements and accessories. Components like metal panels, while increasing the coverage, will also hike up the manufacturing cost of the building.
- Assembly: Just to be clear, metal garages are much easier to assemble and install than other constructions, like wooden and concrete garages. However, if you are talking about steel carports, vs. garages, then yes, metal garages do have a more complex assembly. Fixing of garage doors and windows will require more skilled labor. Additionally, these prefab metal buildings also require a proper insulation system to be effective.
- Maintenance: Metal garages, being enclosed structures are more susceptible to condensation and other moisture-related issues. Premature rusting of the structural elements and the goods stored inside is a real possibility. Moisture built up inside the structure can also cause molding and bacterial infestations which are harmful to both the metal garage and the stored valuables. Of course, you can prevent these problems with proper insulation. But, that means that maintenance of metal garages is a more nuanced activity than maintenance for metal carports.
Final Verdict: Prefab Steel Carports vs. Garages
In this prefab steel carports vs. garages comparison, there is no clear winner. The ideal prefab metal building for you will depend on your storage needs. If you want something that fits within a tight budget and does a decent job of sheltering your vehicles, the metal carports are the perfect option. However, if you need absolute protection and security, then metal garages are the safest bet.
Whatever the case, you can be sure that Carport1 has the prefab metal building for your needs. We have metal carports and metal garages of all dimensions and styles. We even offer custom metal buildings and utility carports to address the unique demands of our customers. For information on our products, visit our website or contact us.
What is the Size of a Standard Garage?
Information that Carport1 has to offer for single car garages. Including extra tips on design and build quality.April 20, 2019, 4:28 p.m.
Corrugated metal panels and their benefits for steel buildings
Industry leaders of metal buildings, Carport1, explains the benefits of corrugated metal panels and the benefits they h…Oct. 5, 2019, 12:05 a.m.